Independence Coin is a premier dealer of rare coins and currency in Pineville, NC. The business was originally founded in 1972, at a location on Independence Boulevard. We currently operate at Tower Place Shopping Center on Highway 51. We are one of the few stores that only deal in numismatics, thus keeping our focus on coins and currency. We have a reputation for reasonable prices, quality service, expertise, and high professional standards.
The shop is owned by Joseph A. Bostick “Andy”. A Certified Public Accountant by trade, Andy has been a collector since childhood. Along with 40 years of collecting experience, he possesses ANA certificates in coin grading standards and counterfeit detection. He married Mindy in 1987 and has two grown children. He has been a resident of Charlotte since 1987.
The shop is staffed full-time by J. Dale Hege and J. Alex Bostick. Both have collected coins since childhood and have a combined dealer experience of 20 years. Julie Sajbel works on a part-time basis and has been involved with coins for 30 years.
Independence Coin supports the following organizations through individual and corporate memberships:
- American Numismatic Association (ANA)
- Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Industry Council for Tangible Assets (ICTA)
- Charlotte Coin Club (CCC)
- North Carolina Numismatic Association (NCNA)
Independence Coin is an “Authorized Dealer” for the following organizations:
Independence Coin supports the following organizations through financial support:
- Carolina Raptor Center (CRC)
- Charlotte Checkers Hockey Club
Q: I inherited Grandpa’s coin collection. What should I do?
A: Should you decide to sell your collection, take the following steps:
- Call 704-542-7554 and set up an appointment. We will ask how many coins you have and what kind of packaging they are in.
- If the coins are in albums, leave them in the albums.
- Remove the coins from any unusual packaging (tape, bags, cardboard). Please sort loose coins by denomination (pennies, nickels, dimes, foreign, etc.).
- Remove any obviously damaged coins and “pocket change”.
Q: What determines the value of my coins?
A: Many factors go into valuing coins. The most common are “spot” prices for precious metals, the condition of the coin (scratches, bending, and cleaning detract from the value), the number of coins minted at that particular mint in that particular year, and the quality of the strike. Just because a coin is old, doesn’t mean it’s valuable.
Q: How do I determine who to sell my coins to?
A: There are many businesses who will buy your coins. Pawn shops, jewelry stores, and precious metal refiners are the most common buyers. These businesses do not possess the numismatic experience to properly value coins. Remember, our only business is coins!
Q: How can I tell if my coins are counterfeit?
A: Establishing whether you have a counterfeit or altered coin is a delicate process, and requires an experienced numismatist. Counterfeiting has been a problem since the beginning of coinage, and has caused the loss of a lot of money.
Q: My coins are dirty. Should I clean them?
A: Do NOT clean your coins. They should only be cleaned by experienced numismatists after careful consideration.
Q: Why would I need my coins appraised?
A: The most common reason to appraise coins is for estate valuation purposes (for probate or estate tax as directed by your attorney). Another reason to establish a valuation is to determine adequate insurance coverage (insurance coverage for numismatics usually requires a rider for your homeowner’s coverage).
Q: Does the sale of my coins constitute a taxable transaction for income tax purposes?
A: Yes. Please consult your tax advisor.
We will be closed Wednesday, July 4th
Coin/currency/bullion collectors will no longer have to pay sales tax in the state of North Carolina. Visit our store for competitive prices and tax free sales!
Coins Are Our Only Business!
Independence Coin is a premier dealer of rare coins and currency in the Charlotte, NC area. Founded in 1972, we operate on the principles of fair and honest dealings, and customer satisfaction. Our store is located in Pineville, NC, off Interstate 485 (Exit 64A) near Carolina Place Mall and Carolinas Medical Center – Pineville. We are a “top rated plus” seller on the Ebay website with 100% positive feedback.
8700 Pineville-Matthews Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28226
Tues – Fri: 10 – 6
Saturday: 10 – 5
We are located in the Tower Place Shopping Center, a quarter mile north of I-485 (Exit 64-A), CMC South, and Carolina Place Mall.
- Quality domestic and foreign “collector” coins.
- Precious metal bullion, such as gold, silver, and platinum bars and rounds between one gram and 100 ounces.
- Quality domestic paper money.
- Quality foreign paper money, although we do not provide foreign money exchange services.
- Miscellaneous items such as medals, subway tokens, civil war tokens, etc., that we determine to be of interest to coin collectors.
We Do Not Buy
- Items typically purchased by a jewelry store, such as scrap metal, flatware, jewelry, silverware, watches and diamonds.
- Postage stamps, whether used or unused. We do allow a stamp dealer to visit our shop for one hour per week.
- Sports cards, postcards, maps, or fossils
- Lincoln pennies dated after 1958, unless in “proof” condition.
- Jefferson nickels dated after 1945, unless in “proof” condition.
- Dimes and quarters dated after 1964, unless in “proof” condition.
- Half dollars dated after 1970, unless in “proof” condition.
- One dollar pieces dated after 1935, unless in “proof” condition.
- US Paper Money dated after 1935, with the exception of CU silver certificates and “Barr” notes.
- Counterfeit, damaged, altered, or bent coins.
- Items we suspect to be stolen.
- Coin supplies.
- Items we already have in excess quantities.
Let Us Make You An Offer
Independence Coin has a reputation for offering top dollar for your numismatic items. Our experienced numismatists are ready to examine your collection and give you a competitive offer. We do not make offers without examining each item. Offers are good for that day only, and are made in our store.
Once you accept our purchase offer, we immediately pay you. We pay cash for purchases less than $100. Other purchases will be paid by check or through PayPal. We require your valid driver’s license (or other government issued photo identification) prior to payment, and a copy will be maintained for our records.
- Domestic and foreign collector coins. Our store is overloaded with “raw” coins of the entire spectrum of grades. Our inventory also includes a fine selection of rare coins graded by PCGS and NGC. We have full and partial sets of type coins. You name it, we have it.
- Precious metal bullion such as gold, silver, and platinum. We stock a large supply of bullion coins, rounds, and bars, and are priced based on a function of the current spot price.
- Foreign and domestic currency. Our inventory of US currency includes large and small size notes, Confederate, Obsolete, Colonial, and errors. Our inventory of foreign currency is from all over the world, and is sold as novelties (i.e. not based on a foreign exchange rate).
- Coin and currency certification and encapsulation services. We are authorized dealers with Numismatic Guarantee Corporation (NGC) and Paper Money Grading (PMG). If you wish to have your coins and currency authenticated and encapsulated, we can submit them to NGC or PMG. The cost ranges from $30 to $60 per item.
- Appraisal services. Our experienced numismatists use their expertise to provide appraisals for insurance, estate, and inquisitive purposes. The current rate for such services is $100 per hour. Fees are waived for collections that are ultimately purchased by us.
- Numismatic supplies. We have one of the largest selections in the Charlotte area. Supplies include coin albums, coin holders, currency sleeves, magazines, books, boxes, loupes, scales, and gloves.
For in-store sales, we accept cash and all major credit cards (VISA, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express).
We accept PayPal for sales made through our website or Ebay store.
We offer layaway plans as a means of helping you buy now and pay later. Layaway items must be paid for within 60 days. Each layaway item requires a 25% deposit.
Sales Tax & Shipping
Independence Coin is required to collect tax on all retail sales in our store and items shipped within North Carolina. We use the United States Postal Service for all shipments.
We accept returns of Non-Bullion merchandise for a period of 30 days from the date of purchase. A valid register receipt is required for a full refund.